January 07, 2009

Ailson “Jucão” Brites

Ailson “Jucão” Brites is a happy man. Everyone knows how affectionate he is about his family. As much as he loves his wife and daughters, he loves his work. I heard him say, “I am happy because I play jiu-jitsu”. 

His happiness is reflected in his constant smile and ever lively eyes. But Jucão is even happier when he outwrestles his students. Since that happens invariably, 100% of the time, Jucão is happy all the time. A fifth degree black belt with more than thirty years of experience in training and teaching Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Jucão often ends his submissions with a kiss on the forehead. I personally received three of his “kisses of death” on my forehead.

The last kiss came three days ago. I would not say “I rolled with Jucão”. The word “roll” would not be an appropriate description. I saw Jucão, I felt Jucão. He was all over me without even moving. Jucão felt like one enormous dark cloud that poured demise in one single raindrop. And then there was a kiss.

P.S. Thanks to all the friendly faces at Equipe Jucão USA. Looking forward to see you all again soon.

Photo Credit: Jersey Fight Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment